What is Virtualization? (video)

By | May 16, 2012

Virtualization is currently very popular, but what is it?  Why is it used?  How can you get involved with this technology?

I’ll answer these questions in this week’s blog.

Computer hardware is ever evolving and the level of hardware available in current Servers and PC’s is much higher than many systems ever require.  Administrators realised that they would have a server that would only be using 10% of the available resources, meaning the other 90% were not being utilised.

Virtualisation allows users to utilise more of the resources of a server.  Virtualization allows us to ‘virtually’ run multiple guest operating systems on a single host machine.  This can potentially save the company money, as they do not need to buy as many servers and this in turn means that less electricity is consumed to power the servers, and also as the number of physical server’s decreases this can mean that the actual size of a server rom can be smaller, possibly saving money on rent!

The newest technology that allows you to implement Virtualization is a product called Microsoft Hyper -V.  Hyper- V comes as part of Windows Server 2008 R2 and is also available for free in the form of Hyper -V Server.  Hyper -V Server is effectively Windows Server Core with the Hyper V role added.  Either of these methods will allow you to run multiple Guest operating systems on a single host machine.

There is a Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist exam available; 70-659 – TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization.  Achieving this certification will show that you understand Virtualization and are able to understand, configure and implement Hyper V.

To prepare for this certification there is a Microsoft Official course, MOC 10215A: Implementing and Managing Microsoft Server Virtualization (5 Days).

 

You may also be interested in:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *